My Thoughts On Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

26 January 2015

SHOW BOOK DETAILS

Silence is a book that broke my heart, shattered my soul, and took me on an emotional rollercoaster that I'm not sure I'll ever recover from. After being kidnapped by her Nephilim father, Hank Millar, Nora wakes up alone in the cemetery with her memory of the last five months completely erased. She can't remember who kidnapped her, or why. She can't remember anything of fallen angels and Nephilim. She can't remember Patch. As she slowly rediscovers parts of her missing memory, she starts piecing together the truth: Hank kidnapped her to force Patch into gathering information on fallen angels. With the help of Patch and Scott, Nora tries desperately to come up with a plan that will take Hank down for good.

As far as character development in this novel goes, I have no complaints. Though Nora's petty side came out in the previous book, she went back to being the Nora we all know and love, despite the memory loss. Her stubborn streak may be her downfall one day, but for now it's her greatest strength. Her determination to find answers - no matter the question - is unparallelled, and that makes her a fantastic character. When it comes to Patch, I don't believe she's naïve. A lot of people hate Patch, and I don't understand why. Yes, he oozes bad boy charm and sex appeal, but he has a much softer side that is so refreshing to see. That tender side is one that I hope he shows more in the final book of this series.

Scott made a reappearance in this novel and I have to say that I loved his involvement. He's shed the dark image he was wearing like a cloak, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading his story. He's sarcastic, playful, and downright lovable. Though there is a lot of fear in him, he shows it in a way that really makes you care. It's difficult to explain in writing, but that feeling I got when I realised just how deep Scott's fear truly ran was inexplicably intense.

The story of Nora's amnesia was as heartbreaking as it was frustrating. I hated that everybody was keeping her in the dark, and all I wanted to do was tell her everything. I understand that Vee and her mum were trying to protect her, but what they did wasn't fair. They should have told her about Patch. They should have given her full disclosure. I was not impressed.

This novel was written fantastically with plenty of action throughout. Though romance was a huge part of the story, it wasn't the focal point. Nora's determination to take Hank down made for a great read, and I loved diving deeper into the Nephilim society. I can't wait to see what the next book brings.

Overall, Silence is a fantastic novel. After a few books, series' can start to get a bit stale, but Fitzpatrick has managed to find a way to incorporate a whole new side to the story. My only worry is that this new development may just open up more questions. I just hope that Fitzpatrick manages to tie up all her loose ends. To be honest, I have a lot of faith in her. This series hasn't let me down yet.