How Fast Do You Read?

28 March 2015

The other day, I was bored and scouting the Internet for fun little challenge-type things when I came across this reading speed test. I can't remember the site that I originally saw it on, but you can find it on the Staples website.


My results showed that I read at a speed of 438 wpm, which is 75% faster than the average American. Not as high as some of the scores I've seen, but I'm still pretty damn proud. If I had taken this test a couple of years ago, I could have beaten that score easily, but taking a hiatus from reading generally slows you down for a while.

According to this test, I could read:
  • The Lord Of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien in 18 hours 13 minutes.
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte in 4 hours 6 minutes.
  • Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling in 2 hours 56 minutes ← That's about right. 

How fast do you read? Take the test and let me know. I'm curious to see where I average out amongst my fellow bloggers!