My Thoughts On Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

2 March 2015

SHOW BOOK DETAILS

Harry Potter has been a household name around the globe for over 15 years now, so when I hear that people (my age especially) have never read it, it kind of blows my mind a little bit. I've read this entire series so many times during the course of my life, and it's something that never fails to make me smile. Beautifully written with an enchanting world filled with magic and monsters, Harry Potter is a series that everyone should experience at least once in their lives.

The progress that Harry makes in this first novel is beyond what I had originally expected. You don't notice it as a kid, but he does go through some major character development. Harry starts out the novel as a young boy desperate for attention and affection. As the story progresses and his friendships with Ron and Hermione bloom, he decides to take it upon himself to rid the world of evil, as it were. His dedication to revealing Snape's true intentions is something no 11-year-old would ever feel in real life, and yet Harry doesn't feel like an unrealistic character. There's just something in Rowling's writing that simply stops reality and envelops you in a world where everything makes sense.

The amount of action that is packed into this novel is tremendous. It seems there's a new piece of the puzzle to solve in every chapter, and for a short book it really packs a punch. There's so much magic and friendship that you can't help but love this novel. It's such an easy read and will appeal to children and grownups alike.

The world of Harry Potter is one that I've wanted to live in since I was a very young child. Rowling has created an entire story based on the fantasies of children, and it's one that will never get old, despite how many years pass. Though the writing isn't perfect (remember, this is a debut novel that is aimed at children), it doesn't matter. Rowling's style flows beautifully and I can't wait to rediscover the rest of this series.